Thursday, December 6, 2007

Making My Home a Haven

So today for the first time, Alton played quietly with his toys while I cleaned his room and closet. (Really his room is just a huge closet since his crib is still in our room.) I was able to sort through his outgrown clothes and tidy some things away. I was so excited that he was able to sit and play all by himself and I realized that I might be able to get things done around the house now. :)

Maggie, (the link to her blog is on the right) posted a link to a Christian woman's website that is trying to help women make their homes havens for their families. Since our house was generally in good shape pre-Alton, I was very happy to see a guide to return to my previous housekeeping standards. I miss coming home to a tidy house. Travis hasn't said anything and he is very helpful, but I know he misses coming home to a clean house with dinner started.

On the blog there are day by day challenges and though I am starting a few days behind everyone else, I am still starting. Day one's challenges were to spend time with the Lord and make a morning routine to-do list. I have been meaning to do this for quite some time, but never got around to it. Here is my list:

1. Wake up and pray.
2. Shower and dress.
3. Read my on-line devotional.
4. Breast Feed Alton
5. Make breakfast for my family
6. Eat Family breakfast and discuss plans for the day.

The final task for day one:
3. Do Something! (5 -15 minutes)Each day I'm going to be giving you a simple organizational task to complete in your home. And today we're going to start at the very beginning - a very good place to start!Put on an apron, light a candle, and turn on some uplifting music. Then go to your front door and pretend you are a first-time visitor to your home. Walk in and take a look around. What is your immediate impression of your home? Is it calm and clean or cluttered and chaotic? Take five to fifteen minutes to clean, de-clutter, and beautify your entry area. Do a quick pick up if there are items out of place, mop or vacuum the floor, shake the rug, spot clean the walls, and rearrange things.

I did clean up my entry hall. We had all the bins from the Christmas decor out and about and the coat tree was overflowing. I pruned the coat tree and as soon as Travis got home, we put the bins back out in the garage.

Is anyone reading? Feel free to post a comment or drop me an e-mail so I know. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're doing this with me. :) We haven't woken up to be able to do the full morning routine every morning, but hey, Lil's only 3 weeks, so something is better than nothing. Today I'm going to try cleaning the whole condo in one swoop, maybe you won't need to clean when you come this time! :) I want things clean so we can decorate for Christmas!